Despite the rain, wind and fog, 55 children aged 4 – 6 took part in a series of ‘Learn to Ride’ sessions run at Shibden Head Primary Academy over the Easter Holidays.
Well done to all the children, and their parents, who took part, and thanks to Emily Groves from Sustrans who ran the sessions, all the volunteers who helped out, and to Shibden Head Primary Academy who generously let us use their premises.
Cycle Queensbury is four years old! Cycling is now firmly on the map in Queensbury. What is Cycle Queensbury’s role now? Do we still need events such as the Family Fun Rides Day? They won’t happen without your support! Come along and celebrate what we’ve achieved, and help us decide the future. All welcome! Free supper (bread and soup)!
Date: Tuesday 18 October
Time: 7pm – 9pm
Venue: Black Dyke Mills Heritage Venue (door next to Country Supplies Ltd. Use A644 Brighouse/Denholme Rd entrance opp. Tesco)
- Apologies for Absence
- Minutes of Previous Meeting
- Matters Arising
- Appointment of Officers
- Treasurer’s and Secretary’s Report, including:
- 2016 overview
- Tunnel Update
- Cycle Queensbury 2017 – Ideas session
- Any other business
There’s plenty on offer this year on the Family Fun Rides Day.
- Walk or ride along the 1 3/4 mile length of the Great Northern Railway trail from Station Rd in Queensbury to Woodsley Fold in Thornton, with marshals at road crossings: –
- Certificates for everyone who collects the Handstamps.
- Entry into a Prize Draw for everyone who completes the Cluefind.
- Regular Led Rides up quiet lanes to Keelham Farm Shop with a stop at the top for refreshments – a round trip of 3 1/4 miles.
- A chance to win a Keelham Farm Shop Hamper for everyone who registers.
- Don’t have a bike? Borrow a Loan Bike for free – or jump on the back of a Tandem.
- Get yourself some food and a drink at the Scouts Food Stall.
- Steam returns to the Queensbury Line! Take a ride on a Miniature Steam Train along the line between Queensbury station and the tunnel entrance.
- Children – test your bike skills on the Kids Bike Course.
- Get creative and artistic in the Children’s Activity Tent.
- Pick up a drink at the Rotary Club Stall.
- Jump on the Smoothie Maker bike at the Sustrans Stall, and get some bargain Bike accessories.
- Sign your name and let us know how you feel on the Graffiti Board.
Family Fun Rides Day! Sunday 15 May 11am – 3pm
On the Great Northern Railway Trail – between Queensbury and Thornton.
For latest updates visit our Facebook page
or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Explore the Great Northern Trail between Queensbury station (bottom of Station Road) and Woodsley Fold, over Thornton Viaduct.
- Join a led ride along quite lanes up to Keelham Farm Shop where refreshments await.
- Ride the Steam Train between Queensbury Station and Queensbury Tunnel
- Have a go on the Kids’ Off-Road course.
- Hot and cold food
- All crossing points marshalled for safety
- Bikes available for loan
- Face Painting and other Children’s activities
- Prizes to be won!
We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in the Half Way House pub (opposite Queensbury Victoria Halls) at 7pm. Next meetings are:
Tuesday 19 January 2016; Tuesday 16 February 2016; Tuesday 15 March 2016; Tuesday 19 April 2016.
All are welcome!
Planned Activities for 2016
FREE Basic Cycle Maintenance Session
Saturday 13 February 2016 @ the Black Dyke Mills Heritage Venue.
Run by Barry of Firth Cycles, our local friendly bike shop.
Get ready for Spring! Come and practise on equipment provided by Barry.
12pm – 2.30pm including short break for lunch.
Food available at the vegetarian Plot cafe on site.
Family Easter Egg Hunt
Thursday 31 March
10.00 am till 12 noon (provisional times)
Start and finish at the bottom of Station Road, Queensbury. On bikes, ready to set off at 10.00 am.
£1 entry fee – All children, with an adult, welcome. How many eggs will you find?
We will have a steady ride along the Trail with an Egg hunt along the way!
Further details from Helen 07842126022
FREE Easter ‘Learn to Ride’ Sessions
Tue 5 April & Wed 6 April 2016
Ditch the Stablisers in an hour and a quarter! A series of sessions run at Shibden Head Primary Academy during the Easter Holidays.
Bookings will be organised via the local Primary Schools.
Family Fun Rides Day
Sunday 15 May 2016
11am – 3pm
Ride the trail, or join a led ride up to Keelham Farm Shop.
A repeat of this very popular annual event on the Great Northern Railway trail.
Plans are already under way. Put the date in your diary!
York Cycle Rally
Sat 18 – Sun 19 June 2016
Join hundreds of cyclists camping on the Knavesmire racecourse, and taking part in family rides and activities. A group from Cycle Queensbury will be travelling up, and camping together – more details nearer the time. For more information about the rally visit: http://yorkrally.org/
Date: Tuesday 3 November 2015
Venue: Queensbury Baptist Church, Chapel Street, BD13 2PZ
Would you like to have a say in what Cycle Queensbury does next year? We’d really value your ideas and involvement.
FREE PIE AND PEAS TO EVERYONE WHO LETS US KNOW THEY ARE COMING!
In the last 12 months Cycle Queensbury:
- Ran a ‘Winter Warmer’ event on the Great Northern Railways Trail with food and hot toddy at Summers Farm
- Ran a Bike Easter Egg Hunt on the Trail
- Organised free ‘Learn to Ride without Stabilisers’ Courses for 45 children
- Gave free 1:1 cycle training and cycle maintenance sessions to adults
- Ran a Family Fun Rides Day attended by 250 people, with help from the local Cyclists Touring Club
- Advertised local cycling events via our Facebook page
- Supported the campaign to open the Queensbury Tunnel
- Commissioned a Feasibility Study into Safer Streets in Queensbury
- Attended a cycle camping weekend at the York Cycle Rally
- Loaned out bikes to adults and children in the community
- Provided rides on the Community Tandem for a resident with a disability.
- Found cycle buddies for riders through our Facebook page
The meeting will start with AGM business (about 15 minutes). If you would like to be on the committee, we need nominations 24 hours in advance ie by 7pm on Monday 2 November.
Note: Chris Wilson is leaving us to travel to South America, so there is a vacant position for Chair.
The following events are planned for 2015. Watch this space, or email email@example.com for more details.
- Tues 7 April & Wed 8 April:
‘Learn to Ride without Stabilisers’ sessions at Shibden Head Primary Academy.
Details will be sent out to parents via local Primary Schools.
- Thursday 9 April:
‘Easter Egg Hunt’ on the Great Northern Railway Trail.
- Sunday 17 May:
‘Family Fun Rides Day’ on the Great Northern Railway Trail.
A repeat of our popular annual event.